Including today and the 25th … we have 12 days until Christmas!! (OMG) SO EXCITED! And making a mental note that I really need to finish up the shopping…..
Unfortunately, along with all the peace and joy, the holiday season can be quite demanding and can also often bring overloaded calendars, empty wallets, and overwhelming amounts of stress.
Here are some thoughts to help get you through the next few weeks:
1. Enjoy the simple moments. Genuinely wish a stranger ‘Merry Christmas’. Sip peppermint mocha. Watch Elf with good friends while enjoying a bottle of wine. Practice kindness and thankfulness, this season is all about the best gift that was ever given so keep that in the forefront of your mind.
2. Prioritize the events/parties you will actually enjoy attending, and feel comfortable declining the others. You cannot make it to everything, so give yourself permission to say no.
3. Stick to a budget and plan ahead.
4. Be realistic about families and traditions. Humans are naturally changing all the time; do not expect too much from people and you will be happier with what you get.
5. And most importantly, cut out time for YOU. Make it a point to make yourself smile every day. Exercise or take 15 minutes to meditate.
I am personally making it a goal to run at least one mile a day every day between now and Christmas as a reminder to me that I am making myself a priority.
I started this morning with an easy 2 miles in the park, and the positive energy has stuck with me through the day.
I would encourage you to make a similar goal for yourself and stick to it. But don’t beat yourself up if you miss a day, it’s just for fun! And the point of this process is to show yourself that you care about, well, you. So while you’re running practice telling yourself kind mantras as well. Let me know how it goes.
For more tips on dealing with stress see this previous post: https://princessandthejog.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/healthy-ideas-for-those-stressful-moments/
Another Related Article: